COLONOSCOPY PREP INSTRUCTIONS
You will need to purchase: (over the counter)
- Four Dulcolax/bisacodyl 5 mg. tablets
- One 238 gram bottle of Miralax
- 64 oz. of Gatorade or any other clear liquid of your choice (NO red or purple coloring)
- One 10 oz. bottle of Magnesium Citrate (CLEAR)
Two Days before your procedure: DO NOT eat vegetables or nuts.
The Day BEFORE the Procedure:
- Only drink CLEAR liquids the entire day. There is no restriction on the amount you can drink.
CLEAR LIQUID DIET – ONLY the following are ALLOWED:
- Clear bouillon or broth, Jello, and popsicles (no red or purple)
- Regular or decaffeinated tea/coffee, (DO NOT put any milk/cream in your tea or coffee), apple and white grape juice, Kool-Aid, carbonated beverages, Gatorade, G2, Pedialyte, strained lemonade, limeade, orange drink (any juice you can see through and has no pule is acceptable).
- NO red or purple.
- NO solid foods, milk, or alcohol.
- *Diabetics: Use G2 Gatorade, this product has less sugar. Contact your primary doctor or Endocrinologist regarding your diabetic medications.
5:00 pm (Day BEFORE procedure
- Take 4 Dulcolax tablets all at once with at least 8 oz. of clear liquid.
6:00 pm (Day BEFORE procedure)
- Mix the 238 gram bottle of MiraLAX in 64 oz. of Gatorade, water, tea or clear juice. Drink an 8 0z. glass of this mixture every 10-15 minutes until the solution is gone.
If you become nauseated and vomit, stop drinking the MiraLAX mixture until the nausea subsides, then resume drinking it at a slower pace until the solution is gone.
10:00 pm (Night BEFORE procedure)
- If your stool is not clear/yellow liquid, drink the entire bottle of Magnesium Citrate (no red or purple). If you are not sure if stools are acceptable, take the Magnesium Citrate.
12:00 am (Night BEFORE Procedure)
- DO NOT EAT/DRINK ANYTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT until your procedure has been completed.
- (Exception: If you take heart or blood pressure medication, you may take it on the morning of the procedure with a sip of water.)
If you do not follow these directions to achieve a good preparation for the colonoscopy, your procedure may be canceled or discontinued.